Hot summer weather may be acting a little coy and elusive here at home but it’s the season for sunshine, warm sand and glowing skin. Glowing being the desired hue, rather than pink and flaky!
Skincare is important all year round but heat, salt, sand and strong rays can play havoc during the summer months. Below are some tips for keeping your skin happy and safe to leave you free to enjoy the weather!
- Apply sunscreen 15mins before going out into the sun and reapply regularly, especially after swimming.
- Choose sunscreen with broad spectrum protection, against both UVA and UVB rays.
- If you suffer from prickly heat or other sun related skin irritations, try fragrance and paraben free products (both sunscreen and aftersun). This worked wonders for me and my prickly heat disappeared. I can recommend the Clinique range of suncreens and Aveeno for moisturiser/aftersun.
- Remember to carry your sunscreen with you when you’re out and about so you can top up (decant into a smaller bottle for your handbag). It’s also a good idea to bring something to cover up, should you get caught in the sun longer than planned.
- Water, water, water… keep your skin hydrated and keep your water bottle with you all day.
- Protect your eyes too! Ideally sunglasses should block 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB rays, check the label when buying.
- Remember, you don’t have to toast yourself to achieve that healthy glow. The shops are full of really effective self-tanning lotions and potions.
With these gloriously long days of sunshine (or at least daylight), it seems only appropriate to work a few sun salutations into your day. Check out the quick guide below.
Be it at home or on some far flung beach, enjoy your summertime and every bit of blue sky we get!